Sunday, August 26, 2007

Mayan Dreams

During the beginning of 2006, I made a journey to Guatemala. There I visited the Maya people in the mountains in the west, Lake Atitlan, and the ruins of the great city of Tikal in the northeast. Forever moved by the temples and the art of the Mayan people, I have a strong yearning to return. The scribes of the Maya people really resonate with me.

The Mayan scribes created pottery, standing sculptures, books full of illustrations and story and much more. Sculptors, painters, historians (they could be called a spin doctor today), astronomers, and record keepers, they lived within the city, received great educations but were often killed if the governing body they belonged to was overthrown. They were the keepers of knowledge and made art that endures and is beautiful today. Sadly, most of the written histories and myths were destroyed by invasive cultures. I crave to talk to them about their lives and beliefs especially their system of time keeping and calendar but I'll have to be a time traveler to do it. This trip still inspires me today.

No comments: